Started Apr 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jungleexplorer
Regular MemberPosts: 349
Like?
HS20 video first impressions
Apr 12, 2011

Well, I just got my HS20 and as I promised, here are my first impressions of the video I was so worried. about At this point, and if things don't get better, this camera is going back so fast the friction will cause it to catch fire. My first test was in 1080P HD mode and it could not have been worse. Aside from the focusing problems, which have been well established, the video was jumpy and there was a horrible grinding and clicking noise while panning. The grinding and clicking appears to because by the focus mechanism because you here it anytime the camera has to refocus. The zoom lens is not smooth at all. It is very sticky and it is impossible to zoom smoothly. It also causes an additional grinding and clicking noise that can be heard clearly when moving the zoom.

As far as the focus problem. It is not just a problem with the video, it is a problem with stills as well. Of all the digital cameras I have ever used or owned, this camera is 10 times slower at focusing on a still subject. And god forbid your subject is moving! I tried to take as picture of my son playing around our house and never could get the camera to focus in time to get a shot.

At this point, things can only get better because they can't get much worse. Either the camera I received is defective or it is the worse camera I have ever owned as far as function. I don't know about image quality yet as I have not been able to take any shots I think are worth looking at.

Here is a test video to show you what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8TW-XvOPKk

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow