Started Apr 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MMehresUSA
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Initial Thoughts on WX10
Apr 12, 2011

I just picked up the WX10 and thought I would share some thoughts on this camera since there is a lot of interest.

I've owned about 30 digital cameras ranging from the M9 to various small point and shoot models. I currently own a Canon SD880 and bought the WX10 to see if is an improvement.

Here are some initial thoughts:

-- hide signature --

The WX10 is reasonably well built with a beautiful metal front. But, on the back, the controls all feel a bit cheap. Also, the two dials have rather sharp teeth on them and the buttons are small enough to pinch slightly.

--In terms of performance, the camera focuses extremely quickly and is zippy one in shooting mode However, turning the camera on, navigating the menus and switching from play to record mode are slower than I would like. For example, when you change the dial from, say, P mode to Auto mode, the LCD takes a half second to react. Hopefully this is something that can be addressed in a firmware update.

--I compared the image quality to the SD880 very carefully. As you would expect, the SD880's CCD does better than than the WX10's CMOS sensor at low ISOs. The image is crisper and more detailed with fewer digital artifacts and signs of noise reduction. The WX10 applies so much noise reduction that even at ISO 100 things items like hair, blades of grass and bricks can look like blobs without any detail. By the time you get to ISO 800, though, the tables have turned and from there the WX10 easily outperforms the SD880 with better detail, color, contrast and lower noise.

--The various trick image stacking modes do somewhat work. You can easily access these using the new Superior Auto mode and I would recommend leaving the camera in this mode at all times. The difference is never dramatic but can lead to reduced noise and, surprisingly to me, more detail. I took some low ISO pics using the stacking modes and noticed that they produce additional detail to the point where the WX10 is very close to the SD880.

So, I am reasonably happy with the camera, although I wish that Sony had used fewer pixels and given a bit more thought to the controls and speed of the interface. I am happy to answer any questions.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
oopsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow