Started Apr 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gocchin
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
First 2 days with X100 Pictures
Apr 12, 2011

Finally got my X100 on Saturday and on Sunday drove down to Izu for a 2 day stay in onsen town.

Did not have much time to familiarize myself with the camera so it was 2 days of experimentation and getting used to the functionality and quirks of the camera.

I did not experience any technical issues like freezing however I did only use it for 2 days so far. Disclaimer, I am by no means a pro photographer... I just got into photography last year after moving to Japan a few years ago. I am still learning. I take pictures of things I like and I admittedly still need to develop a better eye. So these are the opinions and photos of a true amateur and hobbyist.

Initial impressions are, I like the styling and the build. I don't like the menu system and being able to assign only one custom function. I wanted ISO as my function button but I was also shooting outside on a bright day so I needed to turn the ND filter on and off in order to shoot wide open once in a while. So I set the ND Filter as the Fn button and tried out the Auto ISO feature. Otherwise there is a lot of clicking and navigating through the menus (it was probably more pronounced for me as I just got the camera and have not yet figured out which page on the menu each setting is and of course like most, we don't read the manual (^ ^))

Another thing I did not like was write times to the memory card were very slow (class 10 SDHC Card).

Overall though as a photographic experience it was reasonably fun. It took some time for me to get used to the fixed focal length as with my other cameras (a33, GF1, E-PL1) I had many different lenses. The fixed focal length forced me to get into position to make the shot.

I found when using the OVF I occasionally missed focus if the focus point was a very small one and I was shooting with the lens wide open. This seemed to be fine with the EVF and I think others have discussed this in the forum. Overall compared to my other cameras, the X100 requires the most user interaction which can be a good thing especially if Fuji were to improve their menus and allow us to make the RAW button also a custom function (didn't touch that button once).

I shot everything in RAW + Jpeg Fine. I could only import the JPEGs as LR could not recognize the RAW files. I adjust some contrast and resized. I shot many of the outdoor shots in Velvia mode (I personally like deep and contrasty pics but thats just my taste).

The ND filter works well and I was able to catch motion in water flow hand held. I do wish there was in camera stabilization though, i know the lens is fast and high ISO is good but IS would be nice.

Still deciding if I should keep it, but I probably will (^ ^)

ND Filter On

Shot in Monochrome:

ND Filter On

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow