Started Apr 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Franklin
Contributing MemberPosts: 958
Like?
Adobe CS5.5 "upgrade"
Apr 11, 2011

I am a current owner of Adobe's master Suite CS5, which I purchased as a sidegrade from the Design Suite 4 back in May of 2010, for a hell of a lot of money. I also own LR3, which I have begun to truly dislike for not really concentrating on what should be its most important business - "developing" raw images - by adding so many other features. I lately prefer to just deveop my Canon raws in DPP or Photoshop Camera Raw for that reason.

Now it looks like I will have to pay $400.00 to just be able to get a few modest updates to some of the Master Suite software, and, even more onerously, pay $400.00 just so that I can use Camera Raw to develop raw files from the many imminent camera releases' raw files to come in the next 6 months. Please skip all the posts sure to come about using Lightroom and/or spending my precious time converting my raw files to DNG's. Forget about it! I am very unhappy with Adobe for making this pathetically incremental update into a full version, requiring a full upgrade charge, instead of what it should be - a free update to version CS5. Likewise the shift to monthly fees in lieu of an actual software owner's license is merely a prelude to Adobe's desired paradigm shift - to there being no owners' licenses at all, with any user forced to work on Adobe's cloud-based software for monthly rental or per-use, per-hour charges. This will be great for their bottom line, but awful for the bottom lines of Adobe users.

I know that I, a Photoshop user since before version 3 and a user of many versions of many, many other Adobe software packages over the years, am fast approaching a tipping point at which I will look for other alternatives to Adobe. They should look to add value to their customers, not take it away. That route has been tried by many, many failed and bankrupted companies before; Adobe may well be on the way to join them very soon.

Last, I just talked to one of their reps via a live messaging link from their site, and his answers to my questions about the upgrade were condescending, robotic and totally unhelpful.

What do you others think? Maybe, if enough of you agree with me and are heard loudly enough, Adobe may re-evaluate these destructive decisions.

Regards,
David

P.S. I have also posted the preceding in two other forums appropriate to this subject matter.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow