Started Apr 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CharpMind
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
Help with 50mm f/1.8 on D5000
Apr 11, 2011

Greetings! I have posted in other forums but this is my first post here. I'm hoping to get some tips on using my 50 mm f1.8 AF on my D5000. I got this lens for Christmas from my well-meaning in-laws who didn't know to ask the salesman whether it would autofocus or not. I figured I'd give it a try (mostly because right now I don't have the money to trade up for the AF-S version), but I apparently don't have good manual focus techniques because I can't seem to get a nice, sharp photo and I know this lens is capable of a lot better than what I am getting from it. When I do get a good shot, it's completely by accident ;-).

I think I'm supposed to go by the green dot for focus indication, but sometimes I can't get a solid green dot and those shots come out very soft...and if my subject is not completely still, I might as well not even take the shot because I'm only going to get blur.

Can anyone provide some tips on hints on how I can improve the sharpness of my photos with this lens? I've posted some shots that I took of my daughter at a dance recital - I know the light is harsh but she wanted her picture taken along this riverwalk even though it was in direct sunlight. I knew the exposure wasn't going to be the best. They just don't look sharp to me at all and I know don't what I am doing wrong. These are handheld but I thought I'd be ok since my shutterspeed was high. Any help is appreciated. TIA!

Sue

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow