Like?
Auto ISO in Manual: HS Girls Softball
Apr 11, 2011

Auto ISO Test

Keeper rate for game one:

300 frames
50 deleted because they were way out of focus
79 deleted because they were soft

20 deleted because they were duplicates, had poor composition or they were just boring
I kept a few of the soft ones because of the subject

Keeper rate for game two:

350 frames
70 deleted because they were way out of focus
60 deleted because they were soft

32 deleted because they were duplicates, had poor composition or they were just boring
I kept a few of the soft ones because of the subject

Observations:

I started out shooting at f/3.2, 1/3200 and later increased the shutter speed to 1/4000. For a short period during game one I used 1/5000.

In game one there was sun during the entire game. In game one ISO varied from ISO 200 when shooting with sun behind me and a sun lit background, to ISO 1250 when I was shooting into the sun with shade in the background. There seems to be a tendency to blow out highlights in direct sun which is most apparent when shooting into the sun, but also occurred when shooting away from the sun, though less often. I was using center weighted average metering and both teams had dark jerseys, which may have contributed to this. I’m wondering if turning on the highlight preservation mode would help in this situation. In looking at the histograms the camera exposed to the right most of the time.

In game two the sky was overcast for most of the game but it did not rain. ISO varied from ISO 400 to ISO 800 depending on the brightness of the background.

Another observation is that 1/3200 did not stop the ball most of the time. I tried 1/4000 and there were times when that did not stop the ball either. 1/5000 seemed to work pretty well.

Over all I was fairly satisfied with the results. I will be looking for a solution to the tendency to blow out the highlights in direct sunlight.

I will post some samples later.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow