Started Apr 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
biggles267
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Can I always use a petal hood?
Apr 11, 2011

Hi, this might seem like a strange question, but I would like to know if I can use a petal hood even though the normal hood for a lens is non-petal. I just like the look of petal hoods so much, and non-petal ones just look so boring to me. I assume that it wouldn't technically be quite as optimal in terms of stopping flare, but it should do a quite acceptable job of it, since not too much plastic is being lost in a petal hood, right? And better than no hood at all.

The lenses I am talking about are the 55-250 IS, 60mm macro, and 85mm 1.8. The 50mm 1.8 and 18-55 kit have quite small hoods so it's not really relevant.

If this is possible, any tips on choosing the best petal? In the past I buy on ebay the standard generic hood for that lens, but I can't do that in this case. Obviously it has to be the same filter size, but what about the length and bayonet - how do I make sure those are going to be suitable?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow