ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DeisePhotography
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
D50 upgrade to D5000 or D5100
Apr 10, 2011

Hi all some advice required,

I am upgrading from my D50. I was looking at the D5000 but with the D5100 to be announced I decided to wait to see what was on offer. I am actually still leaning towards the D5000. here are some of my details.

I take mostly landscape photos and marcos (Flowers/Plants/Animals) and a bit of wildlife (200-300mm).

My main reason to upgrade is to increase MP for croping and larger prints (A3) and doing panaromic shots etc. so I will going from 6MP to 12mp or 16mp

What I like about each one:-

The D5100 has the advantage in MP at 16 and also using 14-bit. Will this give me significantly better post processing on landscapes, i.e. Recovering shadows etc.?
Will 12mp be a big enough jump from my current 6mp.

The layout of the D5100 has thrown me a bit. I think I prefer the D5000 screen as it keeps everthing centered rather than the side screen, and it keeps the buttonss to the left. I don't think the 920K over 230K res is too important to me.

Does ISO 100 over 200 over any major advantage?

Video is not really important to me.

The price of the D5000 is going to be a good 250 Euro cheaper than the D5100 and could drop more (Befroe going out of stock) so this is also a big consideration

Thanks for any help you can give

-- hide signature --

It takes both sunshine and rain to make a rainbow

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow