Started Apr 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mustachio
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Walkaround Lens Recommendations Please
Apr 9, 2011

I have been searching through these forums and researching quite a lot and I just havent been able to narrow it down yet.

I currently own the EF-S 10-22mm, the old EF-S 18-55 kit lens (from my 350D), the EF-S 55-250 and the EF 50mm 1.8 II.

Anyways, I love the 10-22, but since it is so wide it is difficult to use all the time. The 55-250 is nice and has decent image quality, and while I would like to upgrade it, I think the more pressing issue is the 18-55.

Based on what I enjoy shooting most, I dont need a super fast lens. I try to use a tripod whenever I can, but obviously, I cant always, so ideally, I would like something with some form of image stabilization. I am also looking for something with a non rotating front element as I would like to be able to use cpl and nd filters easily.

So far, the two lenses I have been looking at the most are the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 OS. I have read good things about this lens and it has a lot of great features, hsm motor, "macro" ish capabilities, image stabilization, plus the added bonus of being relatively fast. I have also read that the image quality is very good... but at the same time I have read that image quality is just ok.

The other lens I was looking at is the Canon 15-85. Not quite as many features as the sigma, not as fast, doesnt focus as close (i could be wrong about this) but it has a wider zoom range and from everything I have read, the image quality is quite good.

So I am still not really sure which direction I want to go. The Sigma is about $450 and much closer to what I would ideally like to spend on a lens, whereas the canon is quite a bit more expensive, at about $800. Yes its more, but still not too expensive. The tradeoff here seems to be giving up a few features the sigma has for better image quality and paying significantly more.

Im just stumped, recommendations about either of these two or others that meet my requirements would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow