Started Apr 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richardD300
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
Nikon 28-300mm f3.5-5.6 AF noise.
Apr 9, 2011

I haven't contributed in a while, but I have an interesting occurance with my new 28-300mm lens. I have read on various forums about a noise heard when the lens is in AF mode and I have experienced the same thing, a kind of "sizzle" or "static" sound which occurs on both my D7000 and D700 with VR on or off. I know too well the Nikon lens noises on AF and VR and this isn't that. So, I asked Nikon "is it normal?". First answer "Yes". Went to the UK's biggest camera fair "Focus on Imaging" and asked at the Nikon stand the same question, answer "No". So, in the end Nikon said it didn't sound right and asked me to return it for checking They returned my lens today, which I have to be fair is very fast service, as I only posted it 5 days ago! However, they say there is no fault, so I must assume the "sizzle or static" noise is a "new" but to be considered "normal" quirk for this lens. At least if there are any warranty arguements I’ve got proof from Nikon that I raised the issue.

From what I gather reading "other forums" there are many who have worried about this. I think that the noise is either greater or lesser and varies. You wouldn't have any trouble hearing mine I promise. I must admit I was really worried when I first used the lens as being an electronics engineer all of my working life, "sizzles" and "crackles" are not to be ignored!

My opinion and mine only, is that this is not normal, but what really concerns me is that the return documentation did not state e.g. "the noise you hear is a normal function of this lens" all it said was "No Fault Found, lens cleaned and adjusted to Nikon standard". I think there's more to this, but who knows.

I hope this may be of use to anyone with the same noise.
--
richardD700
http://www.pixels4u.co.uk

richardD300's gear list:richardD300's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow