Started Apr 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Plus24
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
Clipped Highlights on Wedding Dress
Apr 9, 2011

I use Nikon D700's and have the menu set so I see blinking highlights when something is overexposed. This supposedly tells me that the area of the "blinkies" is over-exposed to the point that no detail will be recorded. When shooting a wedding, I adjust exposure to get rid of the "blinkies" if a bride's dress or veil is blinking by changing exposure (I shoot in manual), as I don't want to lose the detail in those items that are so important to the bride.

My D700 allows me to show either the Red, Green, or Blue channel of RGB. If I have it set to R, for instance, it will only show me if the red channel is overexposed. It also seems to let me see all channels together (rgb). However, if I photograph something white and overexpose it a bit to show "blinkies" the R channel always shows a larger area of "blinkies" than the G or B channel or the "rgb" together.

My question is this: Which channel (R, G, or B) is the most important channel for white items like a bride's dress/veil? Should I set my D700 to show blinkies on rgb, R, G, or B? I don't have time at a wedding to scroll through all channels (R, G, B). I want to set my highlights "blinkies" to one channel or rgb and forget it.

Thanks for your help on this.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow