Started Apr 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SkiShooter
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
Canon Repair Service and exposure meter malfunction
Apr 9, 2011

I have a Canon EOS 7d which began having meter problems about 6 months ago. It began reading crazy low light levels and trying to over-expose all my photos (eg. 30 second exposure at iso 100 in daylight outdoors. Doesn't matter if it's in program mode or aperture or shutter priority mode. The only mode which works normally is live-view mode, in which it uses the sensor instead of the meter.

At first, it was intermittent. I sent it in to canon and they "adjusted" and repaired some loose connections, or something of the sort, and sent it back. It seemed to work fine for a couple thousand shutter releases, but then 4 months later, it started doing the same thing again. I sent it back two weeks ago, and this time they also replaced the sensor AE meter. Fine. I take it out of the box and try it out - exactly the same problem still. I couldn't believe it. I tried three different lenses, different batteries, with and without the CF card, etc. I got a half dozen good meter readings with one lens right after I switched the body from live-view back to normal photography mode, but as soon as I turned it off to try another lens, I was back to the old situation, even after playing with the live-view button, changing lenses again, etc.

This is driving me crazy! Has anyone else experienced something like this with their Canon body? The guy I talked to at tech support said he'd never heard of this problem before, which of course is hard for me to believe. I'm going to send it back again and ask them to replace it the whole body. Don't you think three times for the same problem is ridiculous? Every time I send it in, that's two weeks without the body, and it seems that Canon hasn't found the loose connection or source of the malfunction. I've been very happy with the body otherwise, although it did take me a while to learn how to use the autofocus modes, especially for sports.

Sorry to vent, but I am POed.

SkiShooter's gear list:SkiShooter's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow