ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Airelle
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
Sunsets C&C welcome, pics in the next post
Apr 8, 2011

(Pictures in the next post)

Over the past couple weeks, I've taken several shots of the sunset and then picked the one I prefered for that evening. There are some I'm quite satisfied with personally, but which may actually have flaws I'm not experienced enough to see, which is why I'm making this thread, so I can learn from my mistakes.

I've taken the pictures with my e-520, using either the 12-60 (higher IQ) or the 40-150 @150 (more sun in the picture, less antenna-of-the-building-in-front). At first I was shooting A, then switched to M for the control over exposition at a fixed aperture. All of them are taken using live view, I know better than to stare at the sun through the OVF > .>

My main gripe is that I can't seem to catch both the sky's and the sun's color in the same picture. Either the sky is mostly right, or the sun is, but to have the sky, I need long expositions, which means the sun's blown white, or I use short expositions and get the correct orange for the sun, but then everything else is black.

Since I'm shooting handeld at the moment, I can't do a wide enough bracketing to get the sun (-5-> -4 EV I think) and the sky (-1-> 0) without moving way too much, and even if I get a tripod, since the sun sets really fast, I'm not sure it'll work. Is there some kind of trick to it, or should I just practice adjusting the shutter speed fast enough on a tripod?

Of course, other comments and suggestions on general aspects of the pictures are welcome, I'm still learning after all.

Airelle's gear list:Airelle's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow