If I'm going to be using an 18-200mm anyway...

Started Apr 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LeftyAce
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
If I'm going to be using an 18-200mm anyway...
Apr 8, 2011

Hi all,

I know that the rule of thumb is "it doesn't make sense to put cheap glass on a nice camera." This is holding me back from upgrading my D3000 to a D7000. My current lenses are the Nikon 35mm 1.8 and a Sigma 18-200mm zoom. I anticipate renting a Nikon 300 f/4 for the occasional birding and outdoor sports.

For one-size-fits-all traveling, it looks like the nikon 18-200mm isn't much sharper than the sigma (based on MTF charts). So it looks like the improvement I'll see with the D7000 are going to be limited by the travel zoom anyway, with the exception of much better low light and autofocus performance. (not to mention direct controls, etc).

In that case, might I just as well stick with the Sigma for the "one size fits all" lens, and pay attention to future acquisitions (looking at the tokina 11-16mm wide angle, which requires the body motor of the D7000, for instance)? Or am I shooting myself in the foot by putting that Sigma on a D7000?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow