ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shenanigunz
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Leica Learning Curve
Apr 7, 2011

Dear Leica shooters,

Having recently moved to a city, I have been doing a lot more street photography and I have found that lugging a DSLR and lenses everywhere has become a bit unnecessary. Currently, I own a Panasonic GF1 and carrying that camera would be great except for one thing...I LOVE VIEWFINDERS! Shooting without one is okay for short periods of time, but I find myself hating it for this one reason. It's really a shame too, because I love the 20mm 1.7 lens.

I can't imagine myself working with this camera full-time, especially due to the lackluster EVF accessory. I've thought about purchasing an Olympus M4/3 camera, but I'm much more interested in the Fujifilm x100. By interested, I mean that I have pre-ordered one. I'm in love with the idea of having an APSC sensor in a smaller body. And to boot, it has an optical viewfinder. Awesome!

However, in reading about this camera, I have become more interested in the M digital rangefinders. I've never shot with a rangefinder for more than a few moments in stores. To say the least, it was difficult for me.

How long did it take you to get used to shooting manually with the rangefinder bodies?

I found that even when I was able to compose the image I wanted, the resulting image was not completely in focus. I have shot primarily with AF for the 4 years that I have been shooting with my DSLR.

Is there anything I can do to practice shooting in this way? Should I spend a lot of time manually focussing my DSLR? It seems unlikely that practicing on my current equipment will help due to the difference in technologies.

I've done a lot of reading and research and know what I want, but I feel like it's not a good idea to invest in a system that may frustrate me more than it delights.

Any advice?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow