Does GPS bother anyone?

Started Apr 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
Leif S.
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Adds a whole new dimension
In reply to flynz4, Apr 6, 2011

I really appreciate the GPS in my Panasonic ZS7. I take a lot of hiking shots in areas that all look somewhat of the same, so it's extremely helpful to have coordinates. It's also fun to see a plot of each trip in Picasa. Really adds a whole new dimension. I think discussing this is analogous to people in the pre-sound era talking about whether it would be beneficial to add sound to movies.

I can see how privacy is an issue for some. I don't contribute photos to social media sites, so it's a non-issue for me. But I would definitely strip out the coordinates if I did upload anything.

Incidentally, the accuracy is sometimes spot-on, but often quite a bit off (due to slow updates, obstructions, etc.). So, I think from the perpetrator's point of view, if we're just talking about one photo, it just isn't worth trying to track down the exact site where a photo was taken, because you'll likely end up 200 yards off. But, if you repeatedly show photos from the same location (e.g. your backyard), then yes, that would be inviting burglars etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow