ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
piXelatedEmpire
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
considering 7D & 100-400mm lens for Birds Photography
Apr 6, 2011

Hi all,

New to these Canon forums, please be gentle.

I've been an Olympus shooter for about 18 months or so, using first an E620 & 70-300mm lens and now an E30, 50-200 SWD & EC14 teleconverter (EFL 580mm). While I've really enjoyed shooting and learning with this gear, I feel like I've come to a crossroads with my photography.

I'm ready to make a significant investment in some good quality glass, but unfortunately with all of the speculation about the future of Four Thirds systems, I'm not willing to spend several $1,000s on an Olympus lens.

So, I'm considering making the switch to Canon.

My research has led me to the 7D, which by all accounts looks to be a pretty decent birding camera. While researching lenses, I've basically settled on the 100-400mm L IS USM lens. My main subject is birds, and I live in quite a foresty area, so the versatility of a zoom lens is a must. I figure this will be a decent combination to produce quality bird images while I learn how to use the new Canon set up. In the future I will also look at purchasing a 500 f4 or 600 f4 once I feel comfortable with the system (and save the pennies!).

Questions:
Will the Canon 430 EX II be a sufficient external flash for bird photography?
Any monopod recommendations for this combo?
Which backpack would you recommend for this set up?

Any hints/tips/links for settings etc for the camera/lens/flash combo to really get the most out of this gear?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Cheers
--
http://pixelatedempire.com | Bird & Wildlife Photography by Adam Blyth

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow