Started Apr 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew
Contributing MemberPosts: 780Gear list
Like?
28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR or not
Apr 6, 2011

I was reading Ken Rockwell's review of this lens and began to wonder if it would serve any purpose give up my 18-200 and 70-300 and replace it with the 28-300. He says if you've got the 18-200 that should be good enough. My thinking though is one less lens to keep in my kit if I get the 28-300. Yes, it weighs more and yes it costs more...but would it cover my needs and still reduce my total weight? Most of my shooting is plants, flowers, insects (have micro and macro for them) and I've got the 10-24 to cover the wide range. So, what am i missing in this puzzle or is it easier than I'm imagining. It rarely is. I like the idea of the 300 mm on the long end as it allows me to stand at a lower level and shoot up steep or slippery slopes to catch a shot and bring it in without having to climb a spot that I'd rather not have to scale.

And a second question about the 28-300...does it suffer from barrel creep? I think I've read that all the non-pro zooms may do this. I was really frustrated a few days ago when I was hovering over a shot...standing over some foliage and shooting down at it when for the first time the barrel on my 18-200 began to creep. Very frustrating but tolerable I guess.

Your thoughts?
Sony F505(retired), Sony F707(gave to son), Sony
F717(gave to wife) Sony S85(great little camera that
was stolen), Sony CD 1000 (ancient but a great lens),
Sony H9(retired) Panasonic LX3 that became an LX5 (small
enough to go everywhere), Nikon D5000 that grew into a D7000, Sony HX1

Andrew's gear list:Andrew's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Olympus Tough TG-3
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow