Started Apr 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,808Gear list
Like?
Is the Oly 17mm f 2.8 for me?
Apr 4, 2011

I have lots of lenses for our E-pl1, with more than half being manual lenses. We also have the original kit lens, the 9-18mm and the 40-150 zoom. Each one is well suited for some specific purpose: 9-18mm for dramatic photos; kit for semi-macro and outdoor portrait work; 40-150mm for sports, skiing, etc. But now bicycling season is upon us. I like to take pictures from a moving bike one handed (done this before with pro-sumer point-n-shoots-nikon 5400) by placing the camera in the front handlebar bag, pulling it out one handed, pointing and shooting. The kit lens is just way too big to do this and I am not confident about holding the camera single handed. I think the E-pl1 with the pancake 17mm will be small enough to slip in and out of the bag easily enough. But, does this lens AF fast enough (I know, some of you must be groaning) to allow me to just point and shoot on i-Auto on a moving bike? Also, it is a little pricey. Would I just be better off using a cheap point n shoot? I tried using my cell phone camera last year but the results just made me barf.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow