ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cynthia FarrWeinfeld
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,295
Like?
Model Shoot at dawn on the beach in Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Apr 4, 2011

Hi everyone,

I joined Model Mayhem recently: http://www.modelmayhem.com/2157215 so I could try to practice new portrait and lighting techniques I've been learning over the past month or so through reading lots and lots of books, including Joe McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries, from which I learned the following technique.

Through Model Mayhem, I got in touch with a wonderful young girl from a local high school who wants to be a model when she grows up--we set up yesterday morning's photo shoot at Fort Williams (right next to my beloved Portland Head Light and in the same park) and met just before dawn. I was glad to find out that one of her parents accompany her to every shoot. Smart girl. . .

Gabriella is a natural in front of the camera, fortunately for me.

Strobist info: I used a 16" softbox with a single Pentax AF-360 flash at 0 EV and used a 1/4 cut CTO (pale orange) gel on the flash to warm up the cool morning light on Gabriella's skin. The Pentax K5 and kit 18-55mm lens were set to ISO 400, f/8, 1/40 sec exposure time (because it was still so darned dark as you can see. . .)

I did most of the work in ACR--brightening the background up, and used Topaz Denoise, because believe me, the sky had a fair amount of noise in it, as you can imagine. I didn't up the saturation or vibrancy or anything other than the clarity slider to 25% on the pictures, because anymore than that and Gabriella looked too saturated. She didn't need much work!

I know I have a lot of learning to do, and I'm happy to say that after being on the waiting list for Joe McNally and David Hobby's Flashbus Tour in Boston for weeks, I was just accepted into one of the open slots for Saturday! Here are a few of the pictures, and you can see more at the gallery on my site: http://cfwphotography.smugmug.com/Portraits/Gabriella-at-Dawn/16457813_pUpAu#1238316340_2L4d3

Hope you'll check out the others at my site! Best wishes and thanks for looking, Cindy

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ReneNew
MikeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow