Started Apr 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JayMurph
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
Family Portrait with a toddler
Apr 4, 2011

This past weekend I had the chance to take some family portraits of a couple with a soon to be 1 year old a very, very active 1 year old boy. Who has just begun walking. Well, little man doesn't want to be held for long he wants to explore his new found form of mobility and when he is down it's off to the races. LOL

So, I have to shoot fast. Anyway with this being my first time shooting with a toddler my problem is when I have the family together getting everyone to look at the camera at the same time is a real challange. For the toddler I made animal noises, shook keys, toys and other colorful attention getters which he would loose interest in quickly he wanted to get down off of mom or dads lap and go, go, go.

To make matters worse the mother or father would blink and/or be looking at their son to see if he was smiling and looking at me. I tried to get the parents to just keep there smiles and I would snap a shot whenever toddler would look at the camera and/or smile. But then fathers smile looked forced or fake in a lot of the shots. Greatfully they liked most of the photos (but I think they can be better). They would like to do another shoot more outdoor shots the first was a mixture of indoors in there home then we went to a park for the last half of the shoot.

Anyway anyone have any suggestions on keeping the toddler engage a bit longer or at least enough for the parents not to be overly distracted?
--
JM

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow