Started Apr 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,085Gear list
Like?
1D MkIV from the cheap seats - sporty action
Apr 3, 2011

I bought a 1D MkIV last year for no real good reason other than I wanted one after using the 1Ds MkII. The first test of the 1D MkIV camera was the 2010 MotoGP races at Laguna Seca (Mazda Raceway) in Monterey California. I shot about 6,000 frames, and really didn't keep many. I started out shooting Jpeg to see how the files came out of the camera. The low keeper rate was a combination of things: mostly my lack of practice, but the lenses, not being top tier, got in the way a few times, particularly when using an extender. Focus was just too slow in my opinion.

I went back into the files I'd kept to see if any of them were at least salvageable. I sure didn't come up with much. All the images were shot from the spectator side of the safety fencing, and all of them are crops. It was overcast, so contrast is low. I did dial in some negative exposure comp when testing shutter priority at 1/250th. This was not a great idea considering the lighting was changing frequently, but it is what it is.

Panning with the 300f/4L IS. IS off, in-camera jpeg output, EXIF intact

Panning with the 400f/5.6L, in-camera jpeg output, EXIF intact

Straight to corner faster shutter speed, 400f/5.6L. I should have taken the time to blur the background in post on this one, or initially shot closer to wide open.

Another straight on to the corner exit with slight panning using the 400f/5.6L

Winding down with the doctor. 300f/4L IS

Although there is nothing wrong with what can be captured with the cheaper lenses that I used, they just aren't that quick when tracking and maintaining focus to capture the decisive second I see in my vision, even with the hot rod 1D MkIV. But that's just me.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow