New DLSR to replace Nikon D50 for new baby pics.

Started Apr 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Drawingbreath
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
New DLSR to replace Nikon D50 for new baby pics.
Apr 3, 2011

In just over 7 months I'm going to become a father for the first time. Obviously I am keen to record the coming landmark moments for posterity and although I have fairly recent point and squirt (Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7) and a rapidly ageing Nikon D50 DSLR I figure it would be a wise investment to get a better (and hopefully smaller) DSLR.

I have a budget of around £600 (I'd rather not spend more unless it's REALLY justifiable) and I'm after a camera that can take

1) Take HD video
2) Has good battery life
3) Small form factor
4) Makes my current cameras look old and stale

My TZ7 can deal with HD video and my SLR is still capable, but if I can combine their individual talents into a camera that makes any of their results look inferior then I'm all ears.

I have been looking at the recent Pentax cameras, but it would be useful if I could still use my DX 18 - 55 mm from my Nikon and then also invest in a 55-200 type lens that could handle other conditions. However, is the older lens still up to the mark or has it been superseded?

I look forward to hearing the wise words of all you DPreview guys.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow