Started Apr 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vipre77
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
3 month old G12 gets crudded up
Apr 2, 2011

I bought my G12 in January. Have used it very infrequently. I don't think I've even taken 100 shots with it yet. It's stayed in the hardshelled Lowepro case in my backpack at all times when not in use. I took it out a couple of days ago and I noticed a dark spot just above the center of the image. It was barely visible at wide angle but still noticable if you were looking for it. It becomes more noticeable the longer the focal length becomes. The spot becomes smaller, but darker, the more you zoom in. Cleaned off the front of the lens and still there. Cleaned the LCD and still there. Looked at the lens a little closer and I can see I big fleck of dust stuck to the inside surface of the front lens element.

Aww crap...

Tried taking a vaccuum to the seams around the sections of the lens, hoping to draw enough suction to dislodge the dust, but no luck. It wouldn't budge. I checked camera function afterward, and no issues as a result of putting the vaccuum on there, but the dust spot remained.

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, so I'm naturally curious about taking things apart, so I debated whether or not I might try to disassemble the camera and clean it out myself. Fortunately, I've seen enough of these things to know the types of problems I could run into. Are any special tools or fixtures needed to properly disassemble and then reassemble this camera? If so, then I'm stuck and can't go any further and I've voided the warranty for nothing. How easy is it to get things out of alignment and royally screw things up? I'm guessing this is very easy to do wrong. Optics are very finicky things. Since I don't have a clean-room to perform the work, would I just be introducing even more contamination even if I did everything else correctly? Probably...

The cons clearly outweighed the pros here, so I called Canon service and put in a warranty claim. Sent it off to the Virginia service center yesterday, so we'll see what they say. The service rep on the phone sounded confident that it would be covered. I asked them to take a look at the LCD and see if they could replace it. Has a couple of stuck pixels.

I'll follow up here with my experience. Hopefully it'll work out better than last time I had to deal with Canon's warranty claims center.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow