Started Apr 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FlyPenFly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,130
Like?
Nikon is joining Micro Four Thirds
Apr 1, 2011

I work part time for an ad agency here in NYC testing some web treatments ready for major ad campaigns. Basically I just package up the creatives and run them through various browser/os/screen configurations to make sure they're at a minimum level of acceptability. Most ad companies contract this work out.

I happen to have seen a folder called NikonMFT in our VPN share drive which piqued my interest because I'm a photo enthusiast so I checked it out.

Wow. Was I surprised.

Looks like on April 4, Nikon's big big announcement isn't just their new D5100 but that they're joining the MFT consortium and coming out with their own bodies and lenses that are fully compatible.

This actually makes quite a lot of sense. Their premium compact offerings have all been falling on their face and Nikon needs to tap into this market before Canon makes a big dent with their own offering. Nikon lost compacts to Canon and I think they see this as their opportunity to be the dominant player before Canon makes a move.

While I can't share the actual pics, it looks A LOT like if you crossed a D5100 with a GH2. Basically imagine a GH2 with Nikon's premium plastic covered magnesium skeleton. They're releasing it with a miniaturized version of their 35mm F1.8 lens.

Their rangefinder style offering is a seriously retro version that looks like a modernized Nikon rangefinder from their legacy cameras. Looks like they're taking the best of Olympus' and Panasonic's body style and doing it the Nikon way.

I'm really excited what this will bring.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow