Started Apr 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bkh7508
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Nikon 35/1.8 or Tokina 35/2.8
Apr 1, 2011

It is difficult to find the Nikon 35/1.8 nowadays, but I managed to get a copy from local Best Buy store.

Maybe I have high expectation, I find the 3.5/1.8 is just an okay lens. I realized most fast prime lens is soft when wide open. Below F2.8, it is not as good as my 16-85. It is pretty sharp above F3.5 but it is just about the same as 16-85. Also it has pretty obvious barrel distortion. Not sure if this is just my copy, but I don't think I have front or back focus issues. It is a good lens for its original list price of $199, but for the current asking price (over $300), it is definitely not a good buy.

I bought the 35/1.8 mainly for use in low light. But the IQ of 35/1.8 is really not that good below 2.8. I am thinking about returning the Nikon to get the Tokina 3.5/2.8. From I read it is sharper than the Nikon in all F stops. The advantage of the Nikon (faster) is gone because of its poor IQ below F2.8. The Tokina also has the bonus of macro capability.

Should I keep the Nikon (I only paid $199) or try the Tokina ($279 in B&H)?

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow