ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,416Gear list
Like?
Least favourite photography advice cliches and retorts
Apr 1, 2011
  • It's not the equipment it's the photographer

It's both. Otherwise Pro photographers wouldn't buy pro gear - they don't like camera manufacturers enough to donate to their retirement funds

• Zoom with your feet

Learn the difference between angle of view and subject distance!

• Nothing beats natural light

Not universally true or flash wouldn't exist. Subtle fill flash often makes a picture much better. (Are you too lazy to learn to use a flash?)

• If you want to make a photo interesting, don't light all of it

Nice for some shots, irritating for others. I've seen some very interesting fully lit shots.

Every time my flash fails to fire I get a brilliant shot! (None of it is lit!) Also light streaming through man made objects and bouncing on white man made walls isn't so natural.

• You don't need a new camera! You haven't learnt to use the one you have

Using the wrong tool will only limit your learning. You wouldn't try to saw wood with a hammer because you haven't learnt to use the hammer like a pro.

I'm sure some people will disagree with some or all of the above. Please keep the discussion on topic and non-personal. Also feel free to add your own favourites.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow