D7000 : metering issue ? dark pictures

Started Mar 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
samdim
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Re: D7000 : metering issue ? dark pictures
In reply to Dave Courtenay, Mar 31, 2011

Dave Courtenay wrote:

It could be that the bright sky is fooling the metering, Like if you shoot snow you add 2 stops to keep it white-every scene is different and will need a different compensation

Well, first of all, the sky wasn't bright (I said it was evening), even though it's indeed clearer than the rest. In such a situation my Nikon has a tendency to overexpose (that's why I've set the -0.5EV bias as default) showing more details in the darker areas and burning out the skies.
Here, the behavior is exactly the opposite.

One possible cause of strange metering like this is failing to cover the viewfinder. The metering system lives in the viewfinder housing and if there is a light source behind you and it shines into the viewfinder, the camera will underexpose dramatically.

If it was true, then all the pictures would be underexposed, which is not the case

samdim's gear list:samdim's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow