Started Mar 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,324Gear list
Like?
a55 vs GH2 - So similar, and yet different
Mar 31, 2011

Although it gets little mention in this forum, the Panasonic GH2 is very similar to the SLT cameras. Do a review comparison of the DPR reviews and you will see what I mean.

Similarities in a nutshell:

• Both are EVF

• Both are compact for interchangeable lens cameras that have an eyepiece finder

• Both have good autofocus during video

• Both avoid flipping a mirror yet have good AF nonetheless

• Good but not cutting edge IQ (GH2 raw IQ a smidge below the a55 but not much)

• Similar price (GH2 maybe $100 more)

• Both are pretty revolutionary designs compared to conventional DSLRs

• Both replace mechanical action with electronics

• Both are from electronics giants innovating to break open dominant Canikon interchangeable lens camera market share.

There are plenty of differences too. A-mount has more lenses than m43. The GH2 is more aimed at high end videographers (manual control, high datarate 24p, & silent lens options). The SLT has faster burst. The GH2 CDAF is the best out there but still not quite as good at follow focus as the SLT (I have used both and the CDAF / PDAF gap is pretty narrow now, at least at this price level). etcetera.

Still, considering how similar the two cameras are they do not seem to appeal to the same customers much. I wonder why that is?

I tend to think it is placement within their sphere. The GH2 is the top-end for m43, where the SLTs are mid-level in the dslr world

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow