Started Mar 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dpalugyay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165Gear list
Like?
E-5 Lens Calibration Experience
Mar 31, 2011

So this week it's been just blah for shooting. Cold and rainy mixed with snow, overcast, and brown muddy fields everywhere. So I decided to calibrate all my lenses on the E-5.

The PL-25 was first, as I've noticed it's not quite as sharp as expected on this new body (seemed fine on E-3) and I was attributing the unsharpness to my technique or wrong exposure. Come to find out that it was front-focusing quite a bit and now that it's dialed in, all shots are right on. I then adjusted the 50, 50-200, 12-60 and 9-18. All but the 9-18 needed tweaks.

Total time took less than an hour. Of note was the ability to also calibrate all the lenses with the EC-14 teleconverter attached, and it kept separate settings for those lenses that I paired it with. I had no idea you could do this.

Anyway, I want to encourage those of you that haven't done the lens calibration to try it out. It's really very easy, and you may be surprised how much sharper your wide open shots will appear afterward.

Here is a link to a chart you can use (not mine) http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

FYI, here were my adjustments
9-18 0
25 +8
12-60 +4
50 +7 , with EC-14 +1
50-200 +4, with EC-14 -2

YMMV

dpalugyay's gear list:dpalugyay's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow