16-60: A hole in the lens hood

Started Mar 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
DrewE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,991Gear list
Like?
Re: 16-60: A hole in the lens hood
In reply to alexius, Mar 31, 2011

alexius wrote:

On the lens hood for 16-50 there is a piece of it you can take away or keep there. I seemed to have lost mine, so now there´s a constant hole/opening that I keep on the downside.

What´s the reason for this hole/opening and does it matter that I seemed to have lost the "thing" to cover the hole?

As others have said, it's so you can manipulate a polarizer or similar adjustable filter with the lens hood on. Losing it is not much of a big deal; it's very rare that you'd have stray light coming from under the camera and causing lens flare. (For portrait shots, if there's lens flare through the hole, you can just flip the camera 180°.)

However, if you reeeeeally want a replacement hood with the little plastic piece not lost, you can order one from Pentax or B&H or whereever; it's Pentax part number 38753, aka PH-RBK (except PH-RBK applies equally to a few different hoods). They don't come inexpensively, though, for what they are.
--
--DrewE

DrewE's gear list:DrewE's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow