Started Mar 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alnitak
Contributing MemberPosts: 635
Like?
Trade up...or wait a bit?
Mar 30, 2011

I currently have a D200 (love the realistic colors and metering!), but have an opportunity to "trade up" to a D300s -- my brother is getting out of photography and I can trade him the D200 plus some cash for the D300s. I had been planning to get the D400 next winter, so I have a decision to make...trade up now, and have the D300s for another 3-5 years, or wait another 8+ months and get the D400, which will probably be my last DX camera (assuming it's DX format).

I love the D200, but it suffers on indoor sports. My daughter is just finishing 9th grade, so have a few more years of high school b-ball and v-ball. However, the D200 meets my other needs (portrait -- especially skin tones, wildlife and macro). With the D300s I will get higher resolution, a stop or two more ISO performance, lens calibration and better low-light AF (plus other things, like video, but these are the main advantages I see). Of course, I'm assuming all of that and more will be in the D400.

I had planned on keeping the D200, since I love the ISO 100, skin tones and dead-on metering, as a back-up to the D400 -- and it's the last CCD camera. Yet this opportunity is causing me to rethink my plan.

So, what say ye, ... instant gratification, or be patient, wait for the D400 and hold onto the CCD D200 forever?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow