ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vern T
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Sony A55 - Lens Recommendations
Mar 28, 2011

Hello,

I have been researching a DSLR purchase in support my photography hobby. I had been leaning towards Nikon (I preferred the D7000) as I am familiar with the lens range available and am comfortable in knowing what glass would work best for me.

For travel use I would like a wide range zoom to eliminate the need to frequently change lenses and the need to carry a lot of equipment. I would also like a relatively fast lens for sports photography.

After reading many good reviews for the Sony A55 I checked one out at a local store and really like how it feels in operation and believe it is a better value for my needs than the Nikon. Unfortunately I know very little about the A mount lenses. I am hoping that the Sony forum members may be able to provide feedback on a few lenses that look promising and maybe have a few suggestions of their own.

The Sony 16 - 105mm f3.5 - 5.6 DT SAL would be ideal for my travel/everyday use, but reviews on the lens are mixed. DP Review recommends it, but I have found other reviews that are not as enthusiastic, usually noting the lack of sharpness through the middle of the zoom range. What are your experiences?

If the Sony 16 - 105 is not in the cards I would likely go with the Sigma 10 - 20mm f4 - 5.6 EX DC HSM paired with another zoom. What would be the recommendation for the second zoom lens?

For sports I found great reviews for the Konica Minolta 200mm f2.8 APO GAF. Assuming I could find a good used one it would certainly work well for fast action. How would this older lens perform with current DSLR cameras?

Thank You,
Vern

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow