ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
azoele
Contributing MemberPosts: 629
Like?
D700 Banding
Mar 28, 2011

Hello all,

I had enquired before about the issue, and there seems to be a consensus that the D3/700 sensor suffers from "spillage" with bright lights in dark scenes.

I almost ceased shooting in bad conditions, but nowadays am enjoying again taking pictures at night, loving the VR feature in my 70-200

My issue now is: as I do from time to time stumble into bad banding at high isos (and it annoys me no end): are all D700 bodies affected, and if yes, to the same grade?

Or is it just a limited series that is "underperforming"? (don't think mine to be broken at all, as it performs otherwise excellently). Perhaps tolerances?

A couple of examples from last weekend that really made me "angry"... on one banding is up left, on the other down left. Those are untouched samples straight out from Raw, processed in Aperture 3 (but NX2 makes the same pattern), with blacks untouched (if I open them then all hell breaks loose...

Again: how many of you ever stumbled into this? I'm tempted of getting a second D700, if other bodies don't suffer from that. Otherwise I'd wait for the next FF incarnation from Nikon with this problem solved...

Thanks all,
Lory

-- hide signature --

'The human race is a race of cowards. And I'm not only marching in that procession, but carrying a banner.'
Mark Twain

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow