Going to Cambodia for 6 weeks...

Started Mar 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jon Allison
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Transport and the police.
In reply to jackkurtz, Mar 27, 2011

Again, I totally agree with g2van, though another thing to think about is transport. Find a motodop (motorbike taxi) who you trust; get one from in front of a hotel, and when/if you're travelling with him, keep your camera and your bag between you and the 'driver'. Also, get a helmet, the traffic is chaotic, and the police won't see that you're a foreigner. A friend of mine was in a tuk-tuk and the driver went the wrong way down a one-way street, the tuk-tuk got pulled over by the police and my friend got fined; the driver had no problem.

There have been cases of bags/equipment being snatched and people being pulled off bikes. The police have been known to stop bikes and 'confiscate' cameras, it happened with me once, but that's another story... Or maybe find a tuk-tuk, more expensive, get stuck in traffic, but generally safer.

Yes, be very careful at night away from the riverside, and don't go anyway near Wat Phnom at night...I used to live near there, and one night my bike conked out at Wat Phnom, that was very interesting to say the least.
I should stress that not all the police are corrupt, just a few of them.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow