Things I have learned about shooting weddings (from guests)

Started Mar 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BIGGY
Contributing MemberPosts: 723
Like?
Things I have learned about shooting weddings (from guests)
Mar 27, 2011

And now a light hearted tale of what I have learned over the number of wedding shoots from last season and continued into tonight's first wedding shoot of the season...

I shouldn't be shooting with at ISO 400 or 800 because it will "add noise". A guest so kindly pointed out to me that he never leaves his ISO 100 or whatever his pocket camera was set to because it causes noise in the image which apparently is undesirable. He added that "especially if you're using flash you should never really have to bump your ISO". Come to think of it...I almost never shoot at 200 ISO, so I think I need to learn my lesson quick

Both of my cameras are pretty useless. The D300 and D300s which are my main workhorses apparently aren't that good and why would I shoot a wedding with those when D700's are available. Actually this comment came from a "photographer" who called me for a wedding quote and said she was either going to use me or hand out her multiple D700's to guests to do the photos but wasn't sure. If I were playing a drinking game for the number of times the word "D700" was said, I would be pretty hammered in our 10 minute chat. Never mind the 18-55 plastic lens attached to those D700's. My guess is that the guests were picked over me because I was also unwilling to send my RAW images to let "her studio" process them or come down in price by about 40%

My new favorite and first time hearing it myself was..."I just ordered my D90, I'm so excited! I set up a fan page on Facebook to get my business started (yes she was for real and after a few more minutes of chatting with mostly me nodding and smiling, the conversation ended with)...can I give you a call to be a second shooter or whatever for you some time?" I didn't really know what to say and then remembered that I was doing a freelance shoot for another studio and was not allowed to give out my card or info...so I gave theirs

So to all my fellow D300 shooters (god forbid you shoot with a D200 or lower). Apparently our cameras are outdated. It's a shame really because my D300s just arrived yesterday but now I've gotta toss it and buy a D3s. You should probably do the same and my guess is this forum should be removed These are just a few things that made me chuckle and hope they brought a smile to your face as well

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D400New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow