Started Mar 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dr. Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,293Gear list
Like?
Thoughts on the MkIV
Mar 27, 2011

I have very limited experience with the MkIV, having rented one for a total of about 2 weeks so I won't comment on the IQ or AF tracking but I do have some comments regarding the controls and such.

Coming from the 7D, I do miss the C!,2,3 custom buttons and a dial from which to select them - having to go to a menu to select e.g. Av or M instead of turning a dial is regressive IMHO and the C buttons I find are very helpful.

It's easier to select spot focus in the 7D.

I wish Canon would come out with a MkIV without the movie functions and thus a lower price (and less weight?). I think if people want to shoot movies they should get a movie camera - most are available with built-in zooms, IS and HD, in a relatively light package. I guess though I'm in the minority on this. The place where I rented the MkIV says they ship it without attaching a camera strap because so many customers use it to shoot movies. Oh well.

Although I have a Speedlight, sometimes I forget it and other times I deliberately leave it off when I'm in inclement weather so I can fit a rain cover on the camera. So a built-in flash would be nice.

In a somewhat unrelated note, when Canon says the MkIV is weather sealed, what does this mean exactly. Sealed against drizzle, rain, fog, immersion?

Anyway, a nice camera that I think could be improved. I especially like the suggestions re lower price and weight.

Descartes in math class - "I add, therefore I sum."

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow