Zane Paxton
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,937Gear list
Like?
Re: D2x User upgraded to the D7000
In reply to Tom Marshall, Mar 26, 2011

Tom Marshall wrote:

Hi Zane,

How've you been? Hope all is well.

Busy with work; mostly a good thing as it pays the bills. Would like to get out shooting more.

I've always loved that barn scene of yours - and your 'Hidden Villa' photo brought back more memories (although we referred to it as the Duveneck Ranch way back when).

I'm so used to seeing 'D2x with 17-35' in the EXIF under your superb landscape work, it's going to take some time for your viewers to adjust as well :-).

Have you purchased a RRS bracket for the D7000 yet? If not, I imagine you must be itching to put the new body into vertical orientation as a pano tool.

Yup. It has the ability to remove the L portion curiously enough and you can slide it over about 3/8" likely because there are some challenges in plugging in a remote cable release when it is tight to the camera. Yes, I'll be doing some panos when the opportunity arises.

I think you are wise to go light on your trip abroad. My wife and I went to Italy a year ago last fall and all I brought was a D40x and kit lens (no tripod). I thought I'd keep in her good graces by doing so, but it still ended up being too much photography for her :-).

Yes....., shooting with the wife and/or family allways has it's conflicts and challenges...

I'm really debating whether or not to take a very small tripod along at all; I have a leitz table-top unit that is very small, but using it on flat ground is just ridiculous. One poster recommended the Cullmann 1002 which goes from 12" to 32" high max; just can't decide if that would be useful or not and if it is worth the hassle.

Enjoy your new camera - I'll be interested to hear, as time goes by, if this really does signal the end of the D2x for Zane.

The end? It is still a great camera; but it is like a 6 year old computer, the newer ones are just better so get used more... I gave my camera previous to the D2x, my Fuji S2, to my son. Not so sure he would be interested in the D2x being as old as it is. So far the D7000 is a great camera, especially for the money. I am very impressed with the DR range.

-- hide signature --

Zane
http://www.pbase.com/devonshire
Nikon D2x
NAPP Member

'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments it takes our breath away.” ~ Anonymous

Zane Paxton's gear list:Zane Paxton's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow