ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LX93
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Like?
5D stolen in a C L listing
Mar 26, 2011

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pho/2287014947.html

On C/L, it seems as though ads displaying obviously criminal activity are perfectly fine, but anything else gets "flagged". So here's the text:

WARNING THERE IS A MUGGER OUT THERE ROBBING SELLERS (CANON 5D MARK II) (NOVA/DC/MD)
Date: 2011-03-25, 11:27PM EDT

I got robbed today by a young black guy who responded to an ad I placed on Craigslist about selling a Canon lens. He stole my Canon 5D Mark II, 28-135 len, my Zacuto Z-finder baseplate with finder mount and my 16gb compact flash card. He said he was a college student at the University of Maryland College Park. He used the name Mark Henry with the email address cooldudemh91@gmail.com and the phone number I called was (301)275-3862. If you get an email from anyone with this name, phone number or email address please beware. He said he left his camera back in his dorm room and asked if he could use my camera to check out the lens and make sure it works. I handed him the camera and the lens. He acted as if he was checking it out and then he bolted running to a car that was waiting for him.

The car was black American made and looked like a Chrysler Sebring. The thief is African American, tall like 6’4” and thin maybe 160lbs. He was wearing jeans and a blue plaid zip up hoodie and a ball cap. He is well spoken and doesn’t sound like anyone you might suspect of such a crime so be careful. This was not some crime of opportunity it was planned with a getaway car waiting. Please people be careful out there if you are buying or selling on Craigslist it is dangerous. I was lucky that the guy just ran with just my camera and lens it could have been a lot worse. This time it is a camera next time the person may become violent and try to do more than just steal a camera. I would hate to think what could have happened if I was a woman in that same situation. I deal a lot with Craigslist people buying and selling camera gear and this is the first time this has ever happened. I guess I got sloppy because all I have had were good experiences until now.

If you are out there looking to buy a Canon 5D Mark II check the serial number because it may be stolen. My serial number for the camera body is 2764B003AA. If you see that camera call the police or buy it and get as much info as possible about the seller and I will buy it back from you along with the info about the seller in hopes of putting a thief behind bars.

LX93's gear list:LX93's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow