ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MellifluousBlues
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
N80 to D200-First DSLR
Mar 25, 2011

Hello all,

I'm a new kid on the block...and I figured what better way to throw myself under the bus than to post some pics and see what comes of it.

My first Nikon was an N80...which I still have and don't plan on getting rid of at any point; she is my first love as Nikons are concerned. It has been an outstanding camera for at least ten years now. When I got the N80 I built a reasonable kit with three lenses. The first lens was bought with the N80...a Tamron28-80mm. This lens has been fine for most P&S tasks; but I've never fallen in love with this lens. There is just something about it that doesn't work for me. The next lens added to the kit was a Nikkor 70-300mm G. For all outdoor photography this lens has done fairly well and I have had a good relationship with it. And the last lens added to the kit was my Quantaray 50mm f/2.8 Macro. Hands down this lens has been my absolute favorite. It is the fastest of the three and has never let me down.

All the time I have had the N80 though...there has been digital. The D100 came out within a year of purchasing the N80 and for the longest time I lusted after it like a high-school boy wants to get with the head cheerleader.

With time, the D200 came out and became my new object of affection and at this point in the game there is a D300s and a D700 to compete for my affections...but they are both too expensive. I am a blue collar man after all and I must live within my means. So eBay came calling after a tax return showed up and at last I have started the dating game with my first DSLR...the D200.

I have had my D200 for about a week now and have taken a couple of hundred shots so far trying to get to know the camera. Below are some of the better results I have come up with so far. I am reasonably happy with what I have so far, but there are a couple of things bothering me.

First thing is the reflection in the eyes. I tried turning my CPL filter to eliminate these reflections...but nope. They weren't going anywhere. Was wondering if there is any way to get rid of these reflections without post processing. Although this is my first DSLR I have spent many an hour doing post processing with pics taken on P&S cameras...and I hate post work. I would much rather spend my time taking more pictures than fiddling with pictures in Photoshop.

Second thing is with white balance. There are a couple of pics taken with WB set to "auto" and a couple with WB set to "deep shade". I like colors that are taken with "deep shade" but there is almost too much red in them. I guess I'm trying to figure out what setting would fall somewhere in between. Any thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks to all for having a look. Please feel free to give some feedback on anything I need to change to optimize results. Respectfully yours, J. Edward McGowan

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow