GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55

Started Mar 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,505Gear list
Like?
Re: GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55
In reply to El demontre, Mar 25, 2011

El demontre wrote:

I have them both, 10fps on the sony is very useful to me, I have more lens choices for it too (like a 50mm f1.4) and that's why I kept it. Still, good lenses for it are big and expensive, either sony or zeiss, it looks ridiculous with the 400mm G. I rarely shoot video and for stills, the GH2 definitely beats the A55 in detail. At firs I thought it was me, but the studio comparison here confirmed it, the A55 applies detail destroying noise reduction even to RAW files and there's no way to turn it off. Go to the studio scene comparison in RAW in the review and drag it to anywhere you want (good areas are the grandma's face and the statue of david's face as well as the dime). At ISO 800 its quite noticeable, theres much more detail in the GH2 files, and a lot of blurring in the A55s. Even at ISO 3200 theres more detail with the GH2 and by the time you get rid of the noise AND sharpen the A55 file itll look much worse than the noise reduced GH2 file. Ive had the GH2 since xmas and its proven once and again to kick my APS Cs ass thoroughly.

I think you are right about the conclusion (more detail from GH2) but not about the reasons. To my knowledge, there are no reports suggesting that the A55 does NR in RAW, and a site like DxOMark would surely have spotted it (they are pretty good at that by now). However, the GH2 (as well as several other m43 cameras) have very weak AA filters, and this, along with the high pixel density of the GH2 (and good lenses) makes for unusually good resolution.

Some further information here:

http://www.lenstip.com/269.4-Lens_review-Panasonic_LUMIX_G_20_mm_f_1.7_ASPH._Image_resolution.html

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow