How do you handle a rude/bad communicator client?

Started Mar 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BellaBull8
Contributing MemberPosts: 839Gear list
Like?
How do you handle a rude/bad communicator client?
Mar 25, 2011

I've been doing freelance work for the editor of a small local publication.

He is not organized. He frequently leaves out contact info for the shoots or it is inaccurate, and sometimes when I call the location (usually a restaurant or luxury business), they don't even know what I'm referring to (often because I haven't been given a contact person so I have to figure out who to talk to). Most are very nice or simply forgot the upcoming article.

This editor (whom I communicate with largely via e-mail, although also by phone) is becoming a huge headache to deal with. Now, he's also speaking to me in a condescending way on matters that are either due to his poor communication, genuine (and logical) misunderstanding, or simple lack of looking at what I've given him before contacting me, and I really just want to tell him to take a flying leap.

However, even though I don't want to make a career out of editorial (I saw this as a chance to get some work in print and build my portfolio, create contacts, etc), I don't want to create an enemy who may damage my developing reputation.

How have you dealt with terminating a bad business relationship? Or even just telling them that they can have you work with them to fix a problem without talking to you like a serf/idiot/child?

-- hide signature --

Don't assume. It makes an a** out of you and me.
http://www.molimophoto.com

BellaBull8's gear list:BellaBull8's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow