Started Mar 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Graham Meale
Contributing MemberPosts: 985Gear list
Like?
70-300 L vs non-L
Mar 25, 2011

I recently acquired a 70-300 L. I'd had the other 70-300 for several years and had taken some very sharp photos with it, but also some disappointing ones. Today I thought I'd do a direct comparison between the two to see whether I'd invested wisely.

I must say I'm surprised how little difference there is between them. See what you think. I won't tell you which is which.

They're all hand-held at 100 ISO, and they're all centre crops. The slowest shutter speed was 1/200 so one would assume that none of them suffers from motion blur, especially as IS was on. The L lens had its hood on, the other didn't. They're all processed from raw through DPP with nothing done to them (outisde of whatever DPPs defaults are).

In the case of the first couple of shots I took two samples from each lens and tried to select the sharper of the two, if I could detect any difference.

So which do you think is which, and do you think I got a soft L?

[I'm not sure how dpreview's forums work and whether the full size orginal will display here. If not, it's in my gallery.]
--
http://www.grahammeale.info

Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow