GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55

Started Mar 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Re: GH2 vs Sony Alpha 55
In reply to Alexsfo, Mar 24, 2011

Alexsfo wrote:

Can somebody explain to me how Panasonic GH2 can beat Sony A55.
Both are very similar in size and weight.

Not really true the A55 is much thicker/deeper. Many of the GH2 lenses are much smaller.

Sony is quite a bit cheaper

A little cheaper. GH2 body only is $675 on Panasonic's facebook site. The 14-140 kit lens is what is expensive.

has best in class IBIS

GH2 has no IBIS so a clear win for A55

much wider (4x times?) lens selection

AF lenses only. Minolta MD, Canon FD, etc all work on the GH2.

much higher LCD resolution (2x),

But the GH2 EVF is better

currently best sensor out of all DSLRs with usable images all the way up to ISO12800,

True, but the mirror blocks 1/3rd the light. I compared both up to ISO3200 and there is no difference. From ISO6400 and up the A55 wins (I think DPR confirmed)

built-in GPS, HDR and 3D panorama to name a few.

Is that what you buy a camera for? If so buy the A55. I do the panos and HDR via software (even my A55 images).

What exactly does GH2 offer which is substantially superior to Sony’s to command a higher price tag?

Well, again, it is really not much more expensive anymore. You can't get video lenses for the Sony (like the quiet, stepless aperture 14-140mm lens). The video is much better on the GH2, and for some reason DPR likes the RAW files from the GH2 better.

Now, all that being said, I tried both and went with the A55. I did not like the GH2 jpegs (lots of green and yellow faces), and my wife thought the A55 was 5x easier to use.

I sold the GH2 for $200 more than I bought it for and got an E-PL2 (with IBIS) as my carry-around camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow