Started Mar 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pathvis
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Best autofocus settings for sports
Mar 24, 2011

I shoot sports photography of my children, primarily soccer but also volleyball and basketball and often find that my photos are not in sharp focus. I use my D90 with the 80-200 f2.8 lens primarily, usually with a monopod. I am not sure that I am using the best autofocus mode or autofocus area settings. Most of the out of focus shots will have a point in the distance in focus but the subject is not. I have tested the lens and it seems to focus accurately on stationary objects, it is with moving objects that I struggle to get really sharp photos. For soccer, I generally shoot in shutterspeed priority with a shutterspeed of at least 1/500th of a second. I have tried several different autofocus settings (AS-S, AF-C) as well as different area modes, including 3D tracking but I still have too many shots that are out of focus. What are the best default autofocus settings for sports photography with the D90 and 80-200 f2.8 lens? Are there some technique hints that might help get more shots of my subject in focus? Thanks in advance!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow