Started Mar 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,958Gear list
Like?
Re: Alternatively....
In reply to AnandaSim, Mar 24, 2011

AnandaSim wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

If you are looking for a replacement for the E-330 then consider the M4/3's Panasonic G1. Before you dismiss the idea hear me out.

Of course I'll take the time to hear you out since you took the time to advise

I usually shoot with a 4/3's body such as the E-330 or E-510 and the G1 or EPL-1 alongside it. The G1 will autofocus all the cdaf capable SG lenses such as the 40-150 and 9-18mm etc.

Yup. Pity about my lovely 7-14mm.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the dof is so great on an uwa that critical focusing isn't usually an issue but the G1 does have a neat trick. I have found that when you hit the right focus, the area in focus shimmers, it's almost like moire or the effect of a split focusing screen. The OM 50mm 1.8 is a doddle to focus, even wide open.

You will need the mmf-2 (or similar) adaptor but it is well worth doing it.

Yup. I would too. Saving up.

The evf is excellent for manual focusing, it has a flip out lcd with a resolution of 460K which is really good and has better dynamic range than quite a few of the 4/3's cameras. The visible resolution is also very good (in raw). The ergonomics are excellent and it's a really easy camera to shoot with. It has a lot of nice touches. Best of all, it can be picked up for peanuts now, especially body only.

I will keep an eye out. I am not a fan of the Pany JPEG and I felt the Pany menu a little like the Sony Ericsson mobile phone menu system - a lot of sideways and vertical scrolling but given enough commitment, there should not be a problem.

Now I'm used to it, I find the Panny interface on this camera a breeze, there are lots of configuration options to make it more suitable and easier to use. I find it easier than my EPl-1. You are right about the jpegs, they aren't as rich as Oly's, with one exception. If you use film mode you can set up the mono output to give you a really nice, high contrast black and white effect, better than I can get from any of my Oly's. So if you like to shoot in mono sometimes it's a great feature. I often shoot mono jpegs and raw together so I can choose between colour and B&W.

Manual focusing with all the legacy fast primes is an absolute cinch, as is the ZD 50mm F2. This is a great little camera to use as a second body to a 4/3's, for me anyway. Just something that's worth considering I think

Thanks Tony

No problem, for pure versatility this has now become my favourite camera, and that's saying something. It also looks really cool with the OM 50mm 1.8 and adaptor, like they were made for each other :).

-- hide signature --
 papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow