7D high ISO basketball--with more cheerleaders!

Started Mar 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,033Gear list
Like?
7D high ISO basketball--with more cheerleaders!
Mar 23, 2011

The last game I posted here (CU vs Nebraska) got some nice feedback, including requests for more cheerleader shots So this time, I made a special effort to get more cheerleader shots. After Colorado was snubbed by the NCAA selection committee, despite having six more wins against top 50 opponents than some of the at-large teams, they didn't whine about it, like some of their fans (such as me), but rather set about to prove the inbred selectors wrong in the best way possible--on the court. One silver lining to the NCAA snub was that they got to play three more games at home, because they were a #1 regional seed in the NIT. They beat Texas Southern in round 1, and future PAC 12 opponent Cal in round 2. Last night they faced Kent State for a place in the NIT final four in Madison Square Garden. Despite it being spring break at CU, Coors Events Center was full and very loud. It was a great game, with many lead changes, but CU pulled it out at the end, 81-74, and are off to New York next week. I'll be watching on TV. The full gallery is here:

http://anorcross.smugmug.com/Sports/CU-vs-Kent-State-NIT-3rd-round/16314527_eRNAv#1226172428_keqHY

I used the 7D with the 200 F2.8 L for most of them (the 24-105 for a couple at the beginning and end). IS0 3200, F2.8 1/800 (F4 1/400 for the 24-105 shots, and F2.8 1/400 for the band shots). Shot in JPEG, processed with Lightroom. Here are some samples:

I sat right next to this guy. I was pretty much deaf by the end of the game!

As requested:

Alec Burks might leave early for the NBA:

More cheerleaders:

And more;

Cory Higgins is 13 points away from setting the all-time CU scoring record. Lets hope he gets it in the NIT semifinal:

Andre Roberson (21) is just a freshman:

I was pretty close to these guys too!

He (or she--who can tell?) tried to keep the crowd entertained at halftime. He came close from halfcourt a couple of times:

And more:

And yet more (happy yet?):

Marcus Relphorde also had a great game:

Kent State (the Golden Flashes) played well:

But Colorado (the Buffaloes) was just a little too strong:

This was an amazing reverse layup, which brought the crowd to its feet:

A great jam:

Behind the back:

And a last one for the cheerleader fans (you know who you are):

Feedback (even criticism that I now have too many cheerleader shots) appreciated.
--
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow