Why they dont make fixed wide angle lenses anymore?

Started Feb 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,101Gear list
Like?
Re: prime wide angle lens suggestions for Nikon
In reply to Dim_70, Mar 23, 2011

Dim_70 wrote:

As you said ….practically there is absolute no reasonable Nikkor fixed wide lens for DX cameras. What became the 35mm film equivalent fixed focal length ???

Well, by the numbers, that would be 24mm

I tried the classic Nikkor 24mm/2.8 D but the quality of the images it provides is not better than my Tokina 12-24 f/4 at 24mm ! (with the Tokina being sharper at the borders/edges, of course at middle aperture settings).

I also have a 24mm f/2.8 and find it terrible on DX, much worse than my 16-85 at 24mm and pretty unusable above f/5.6. Some FX guys say it's OK once you get rid of the CA in post processing.

So practically the only options are the 1.4 lenses (Nikkor 24mm & 28mm) . But they are heavy, large, and expensive. And the point is that I do not need a 1.4 24mm lens (and I assume that also many others),

I just need a reasonable priced small & lightweighted 24mm f/2.8, which performs well from f/4 to f/11 (and it should perform better from any middle priced zoom lens in order to justify it’s existence) so If they could make just something which performs similar to the 35mm f/1.8

My Tokina covers let’s say my requirements by 85% (the balance 15% is for the desired, currently missing, image quality) but the main problem it’s too heavy and big in order to be used as standard 35mm equivalent lens (like for street photography).

I show on some previous posts it was mentioned that the reason may be because Nikon is focusing on the zoom lenses market since they are selling more, but ι really do not thing that if they would make a new 24mm f/2.8 DX lens it wouldn’t sell very well (for example the respectively new Nkkor 35mm f/1.8 D, is continuously running out of stock and Nikon can very difficult cover the market demand, which means that is sells much more that Nikon was expecting)

The 35mm f/1.8 is a brilliant design. I would love a 24mm f/2 like that but I don't know if it would sell like the 35 does.

The same applies also for the classic 85mm equivalent focal length. Totally missing from the DX camera lens availability (apart from some 58mm manual focus alternatives, like the Voiglander Nokton 58mm 1.4

I hear the Tamron 60mm f/2 is pretty good and it's macro too.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow