Buying 60D or 3Ti. Need lens advise for birding and wildlife.

Started Mar 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tracks
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Buying 60D or 3Ti. Need lens advise for birding and wildlife.
Mar 23, 2011

I'm a first timer on this forum and am not a camera guy. I'm buying a 60D or 3Ti for my wife. Probably body only, unless I go with the 3Ti. Leaning a little towards the 60D because it seams like you get more bang for the buck and the price difference is less than $100 now where I live but a little concerned that they are on backorder from Best Buy. I hope they are not going to be discontinuing it soon or something. No big deal for me though.

We have been old school and are making the digital jump. She used a 35mm Minolta Maxxum 400si. Her zoom lens was a Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro and a Sigma 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 DL Macro. She will be mainly using it for wildlife. She wants something that will zoom in close for birds from a distance. We will be using the video often also.

I know this is not a lot, but our budget right now for our 1st lens around $600-$700.

Her old Sigma 70-300 did OK bit it just didn't get close enough for certain bird shots. I don't know if the digital technology has improved so much that maybe the new 300mm's zoom in better. Please forgive me, remember I'm not a camera guy.

So if we buy the 60D body and you had one lens to buy for the time being, what lens would get that would go up to 300mm? Am I out of the price range for a Cannon? So would it be like a Sigma, Tamron or aftermarket?

If I did end up with the 3Ti, I would probably get the 18-55 kit. What lens would you add to that? Thanks advice would be greatly appreciated!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow