Started Mar 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jrdu
Forum ProPosts: 20,587
Like?
a walk in Nanjing
Mar 23, 2011

Nan means south and jing means capital. Nanjing has been the capital city of China several times in the past. It is a city of eight million people now, but not thought of as one of China's larger cities. This photo is taken from the top of the city wall, started in the 1300s but finished in the Ming dynasty about 600 years ago.

The wall encloses a very large city but as you can see, there is also a well developed part of the city outside of the wall. The skyline is impressive for 360 degrees from where this shot is taken

This is a temple that you can overlook from the city wall.

This is a part of modern sculpture that I thought was quite well done. There are 12 sculptures for the twelve creatures that make up the years in Chinese astrology. This fellow is forever looking up at a dragon.

This is the entrance to Xuanwu Lake. I think that xuan means island and wu means five. There are five islands connected by bridges that you can stroll through in this beautiful lake in the heart of the city. It takes about 4 hours to walk the islands and half the lake.

Here is a little bridge that I thought was pretty.

The light was failing me here. You can see a glint from the last of the sun on the building and its shadow. One thing that's lovely about Xianwu Lake is how you can look out from it into the city, and from the city into its peaceful beauty.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow